FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Scott Collins, City Manager
March 22, 2020
Morro Bay Transit Will Provide Free Bus Service Effective March 23, 2020
Starting Monday, March 23, 2020, Morro Bay Transit will provide free bus service during the time the Executive Order to Shelter at Home is in effect. The City’s hope is to provide lifeline transport services for those in need that may have been economically impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and also minimize contact between bus operators and riders at the farebox area when entering the vehicle.
Morro Bay Transit is following the Centers for Disease Control’s (CDC) best practices and recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19 by advising employees and riders to:
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and services such as cell phones, keyboards, door handles, etc.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then dispose of tissue in the trash.
- Please stay home when you are feeling sick.
We have increased the frequency of cleaning the interior of our vehicles and riders are advised to take personal responsibility and not use public transit if they are feeling ill or have been in close proximity to someone else with symptoms and signs of illness.
While we are currently operating our normal schedule, transit services will be monitored and adjusted as necessary to continue providing basic lifeline services for the public and allow for services that will help promote social distancing and other individual risk minimization recommendations.
PRESS RELEASE - Morro Bay Transit Will Provide Free Bus Service Effective March 23, 2020