Junior Lifeguards is a physical program. Participants are expected to participate in all aspects of the program, to the best of their ability, including but not limited to, physical training, swimming, and other activities as directed by Instructors. Your child's safety is of the utmost concern, therefore your child will not be asked to perform activities that he/she is not physically ready to perform. All Junior Lifeguard instructors and aides are USLA Certified Ocean Lifeguards.
View Junior Guard Registration (Link available March 23)
- On-line registration will open 9AM on March 29 for Pool Program and Beach Session A, March 30 for Beach Session B, March 31 for Beach Session C, and April 1 for Beach Session D.
- Please register with care. We have a cancellation and transfer fee of $100 to cover additional staff time required to cancel and/or make changes to your registration.
2021 Program Schedule
- JG Pre-Season Pool Program, Sundays, 2:30-3:30: Session 1 - 4/18, 4/25, 5/2, 5/9; Session 2 - 5/23, 5/30, 6/6, 6/13
- JG Bootcamp (ages 14+ by invitation) - June 14-18
- JG Beach Session A- June 21 - July 2
- JG Beach Session B--July 5 - July 16
- JG Beach Session C--July 19 - July 30
- JG Beach Session D - August 2 - August 13
- Call 805-772-6278 for more information.
Program TestingDue to COVID-19, all participants will be assessed the first few days of the Beach Program and will be placed in groups according to skill. It is strongly encouraged that participants self-test prior to registering. The Beach Program test includes 100-yard non-stop swim under 3 minutes, treading water for 5 minutes, and a 30-feet underwater swim. The Pool Program test is a 75-yard non-stop swim with no time limit and will take place the first day of the program.
- MBJG beach program shirts will be issued on 1st day and must be worn everyday.
- Swimsuits: Participants must wear uniform trunks and black one-piece swimsuits. Girls, fitness bikinis okay but no other bikinis allowed. Sweats may also be worn.
- Wetsuits: .Participants without wetsuit may not be able to safely participate in all program activities.
- Booties: Strongly recommended, but not required.
Additional Daily Items
Participants need to bring a towel, warm clothing, foot protection, sunscreen, hat, and a snack. Surfboards are optional and must have safety fins and leashes. Participants need to supply their own transportation to and from activities and field trips. Staff can not transport participants. Parents are welcome to attend daily activities and are encouraged to accompany the program on field trips.
Junior Guard Bootcamp
This program is required for all Junior Lifeguards that wish to tryout for a volunteer position. This program is for the older junior lifeguard (14+) and is an advanced program with additional challenges to help prepare them for volunteering and additionally to prepare to be staff in the future.
Pre-Season Pool Program
This program is recommended for all first time Junior Lifeguards. This is an introductory program that will help build aquatics skills, confidence and endurance needed for the Beach Program. The Pool Program is tailored for the youth that have completed swim lessons and want to develop more advanced swimming skills and preparatory ocean skills. This program will take place at the MBHS Aquatic Center. We strongly recommend participating in the Pool Program prior to participating in the Beach Program for the first time.
More Program & Parent Information
For the additional information please visit our Morro Bay Sports website. The parent handbook is available on the handouts page.